Double Delight in the inner-city of Perth
Set out on a beautiful inner city 413m2 block of land, our project brief was considerable.
To design & build a 2-unit strata development on a 415m2 lot, while maximizing space & amenity with each unit averaging 237m2 leaving a footprint of a mere 274.16m2, all the while achieving a medium to high end level of finishes. To this end we here at Thompsons, and with considerable client input throughout the pre-construction and during the build process, have gone on to design & source products to provide a truly eye-catching project.
This 3-bedroom, two living, two bath, two car garage duplex development was born from a knockdown of existing older style dwelling. With unit one destined to be owner occupied, and unit 2 under rental agreement, we needed to mix finishes to suit each living scenario.
Situated within the affluent suburb of West Peth, this unique development needed to bring street appeal as well as functionality and convenience to a growing demographic of sophisticated renters. Essentially built over three levels from the rear laneway, these duplexes dominate both entrances from the laneway and street frontage. On entry, a striking stone clad feature wall delivers you to the open plan kitchen living and dining. Making use of such a functional area, the kitchen extends both sides to deliver an all in one undercover alfresco dining area with custom built in cabinetry and bbq to one end, then extended custom laundry and powder room to the other end with freestanding bathroom vanity opening up the space and drawing your eye to the lux finishes.
The use of matt black tapware and custom cabinetry, deep trough sinks in the kitchen, waterfall edging to large island benches take the kitchen, alfresco and laundry room to a level of elegance. Take a walk upstairs and embellish in the commanding city views from both master suites and appeal to the fashion savvy with the ultra-stylish custom cabinetry throughout the walk-in-robes, lifting these duplex properties to an astute eye. Expanding on the freestanding vanities, we included free standing baths, floor to ceiling tiling, scribed skirting and 3 step cornices throughout, upgraded automated ducted air to bring all year comfort, these homes will be a desirable asset within the local community.
The sloping site was quite challenging, as this required pilling around an existing sewer line. Including the retaining walls and achieving site levels, that allowed the build to not have an overbearing street presence.
Cladding is all light weight on timber frame, as against traditional brick work (Labour & time intensive). Also using a combination of corrugated iron roofing, classic weatherboards & render on the upper levels, combined with a modern rendered base. As well as modern Hardies cladding on the lower levels oozes street appeal.
Some of the standout features include:
• High ceilings provide an immediate sense of space, but also contribute to ventilation
• An internal stone cladded wall to Unit One builds on the high spec components within the apartment
• To the kitchen, we have used the latest reconstituted stone, cabinetry colours, style & finishes which are all complimented by Bosch appliances, concealed rangehood & mirrored splash back to further elevate the luxuries and feeling of space. An additional recessed wine rack to Unit One adds a touch of sophistication and personal touch
• Extending the outdoor living, we included an inbuilt alfresco outdoor kitchen all with natural stone tops & water proof cabinetry to extend the lifetime use
• We have included rendered front fencing with aluminium inlay panels to pop the entry, façade and streetscape
• For bathroom fittings the client has gone with modern black tap ware & sinks to kitchen, including freestanding baths to complement the modern look
• Central air conditioning was added to provide all year-round comfort
• Frameless shower screen to further give the feeling of space within the compact bathrooms, including modern strip drains accentuating the clean lines and modern elements
• Porcelain tiles throughout brings elements of clean lines and modern touches with fine grout lines
• The modern vinyl timber plans in an accentuating colour contrast well to the tiled finishes
• LED lighting through ensures minimal energy usage, allowing for reduced electricity usage and sustainability elements throughout
• The use of modern whites and grey internal paints highlight the stone & timber finishes throughout
Overall, our Hammond Street project has been a success story, with a number of local opportunities developed off the back of the building presence, consistency of trade and streetscape.
If you have a larger block of land ripe for development, or maybe an older style home that is need of major repairs, then talk to our team and learn what options you have to ensure your investment works for you!
Call Thompson Sustainable Homes on 1300 90 40 40 for more information.