Here are some common questions we get from customers with their answers.
CONTRACTS & FINANCES
What type of contract do you offer?
Thompson Sustainable Homes is a member the Housing Industry Association (HIA). These organisations offer plain English housing contracts that comply with laws governing building a home in Victoria.
THE BUILDING PROCESS
The complexity, size and inclusions of the home can affect how long it takes to build a home. Industry forces, outside of our control can also have an impact on our build time. The building contract will often stipulate the estimated build time.
What does built-to-boundary mean?
In order to maximize the amount of space on small lots we’ve pioneered a building process that uses as little room as possible for the walls and fittings.
We’ve worked with James Hardie and other builders and suppliers to fulfill all the structural and sound suppression requirements in a much thinner system. This means more space inside your home.
What construction guarantees do you offer?
We are legally obliged to provide each contract with a Warranty Insurance Certificate. This provides structural protection for 6½ years from the date a certificate of occupancy is issued. There’s also a 90 day maintenance period whereby we come and fix any minor issues with the home after you move in.
Can we visit the building site to see our home?
Yes absolutely. Access is by appointment and during working hours. If you have any questions about the process or want to have an inspection, get in touch with us on 1300 90 40 40.
What is the drafting department of Thompson Sustainable Homes?
Our role is to provide the design and input at acquisition stage, the marketing plans and presentation work at sales stage, the contract plans and variations at pre-contract stage, and the construction plans and working drawings at construction stage.
What is a draftsperson and what are they responsible for?
A draftsperson is someone who prepares drawings and plans, similar to an architect. Drafting is a part of each step of the process from concept through to construction, and is responsible for the design and plans, making client variations and then finally the construction documentation.
Why is it crucial for a building company to have a dedicated drafting department?
As drafting is involved in each stage of the process, it is vital to enable prompt response times for each step. If we were using external contractors, there would be delays as each part fitted into their other workloads, which would cause considerable lag over the course of the project. Also, reducing the use of external consultants minimises costs associated with these tasks, which allows us to keep the contract prices lower.
DESIGN AND SMALL LOT CONSTRUCTION
What is a terraced home?
A terraced or terrace house is a term in architecture and city planning referring to a style of medium-density housing that originated in Europe in the 16th century, where a row of identical or mirror-image houses share side walls. They are also known in some areas as row houses or linked houses.
What are the differences required for designing small lot homes?
Designing for small lots requires greater efficiency of design and layout. Reduction of excess circulation spaces allows more space to be given to the living areas.
Greater attention to privacy and overlooking concerns. As there is less space on site it is imperative that these are allowed for at the early planning stages
What are common issues you have come across when designing for small lots?
Issues that can come into play when designing a small lots home is…
Services locations – There are cases where these have been entering the site too far, or in the wrong locations, which causes problems due to the tight space and BOS applications, which add time in the application process and cost due to the BOS fees and additional infrastructure required. This can be easily avoided if these services are located well from the start.
Estate Covenants vs Building Codes – We have run into some areas where the estate covenants and requirements are at odds with local building codes, creating difficulties at the building approval and/or covenant approval stages. With small lot housing it is more important than usual that the covenants, plan of development, and building codes are well integrated, as there is less room to spare and accommodate things that clash. One example of this is where a covenant requires a certain minimum building width, but has not allowed for the boundary setbacks that are measures to the OMP.
Neighbouring building work – Due to the proximity and built to boundary nature, there needs to be greater cohesion between buildings, from design through to the construction method. Fire and sound separation issues need to be well resolved, along with other concerns such as water penetration and termite protection.
What does TSH built-to-boundary construction methodology benefit in design small lot homes?
The built to boundary construction methodology that TSH uses allows…
Space saving – Savings of greater than 100mm per boundary as opposed to masonry. On some sites this is almost 5% of the property width and this means larger rooms internally rather than thicker walls.
Speed of construction – Timber frame goes together faster, can be built, clad, and painted, and then lifted into position. This also means that the exterior is fully painted.
How are our homes designed to be sustainable?
Thompson Sustainable Homes are considered sustainable because…
Construction method – The timber framing and materials we use are sustainable products.
Design – The houses are designed both to minimise wastage during construction, and minimise ongoing costs for power usage ,water consumption.
Fixtures – We use energy efficient fixtures, from lighting, water fixtures, even the appliances that are installed have been selected with this in mind. Gas hot water systems and cooktops are installed where possible, and ceiling fans are standard to living areas and bedrooms.
We design all of our homes to require as little artificial climate control as possible, ensuring we save energy over the life of the home. Our material specifications include: waffle pod concrete slab systems (more thermal mass, less concrete, less steel, less soil disruption), timber frames (a natural, carbon offset material, as opposed to steel frames which contribute to a third of all CO2 emissions), fibre cement cladding made from recycled wood pulp, increased insulation including under-roof, ceiling and external walls (significantly reducing the energy required to condition the air inside the house), energy efficient LED light fittings as standard. We also design all of our buildings to utilise as little waste as possible, by keeping sizes to ‘off the shelf’ dimensions wherever possible. This ethos drives all of the decisions we make at Thompson Sustainable Homes.
Intellectual Property and Licence
All materials on this website or any linked mobile applications, including the site’s design, layout, organisation, data and images are owned, trademarked and/or copyrighted by the Company, or its suppliers or vendors or members/subscribers, and are protected by the relevant Australian and International laws.
In consideration for the Company allowing you to access, use and submit content to this website:
– You grant and assign to the Company a non-exclusive, payment and royalty free, perpetual, world-wide, non-revocable licence to, use, reproduce, modify, delete, distribute, transmit, adapt, publish, make derivative works of, and otherwise commercialise and exploit any material you post, upload or otherwise transmit via this website or otherwise submit to the Company (“Content”)
– You warrant that:
(i) You own, or hold any necessary licence of any intellectual property rights in any Content;
(ii) In utilising any Content, the Company will not infringe, violate or otherwise conflict with any intellectual property rights owned by a third party;
(iii) Utilising any Content will not compromise the security or operation of the Company computer systems, through a virus or otherwise.
Links to Other Websites
- This website also includes links to other websites created and maintained by the Company’s suppliers, vendors, affiliates, users or members/subscribers. Be aware that the Companydoes not control, makes no guarantees about, and disclaims any express or implied representations or warranties about the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, completeness, or appropriateness for a particular purpose of the information or the resources contained on these or any other Internet sites.
- All information in any other website, or associated or linked site, is extracted, read, used, or relied upon by you at your own risk.
Conduct When Using This Website
By using this website, you expressly acknowledge and agree to be bound to these Terms:
- The accuracy of the Company website, information, and resources identified are not warranted or guaranteed, or intended to substitute for professional advice or information, to contradict advice or information given, or for further services and information of any kind.
- In using the Company website, you must not:
- change or delete any copyright or proprietary notice from materials downloaded from this website or any website accessible through this site;
- modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish or license any material from this website;
- use or attempt to use any material published by the Company to create any website or publication;
- mirror or frame this website or page within this website;
- transfer or sell any information, functionality or products or services offered on this website.
- The Company may terminate your right to access and use this website at any time.
- The Company makes this website available for the sole purpose of providing general information on related topics and providing Internet access and search engines to identify various resources, products and services listed on the website.
- You understand and agree that neither the Company nor its suppliers or vendors or linked domain names are responsible or liable for any claim, loss, or damage, of any kind, directly or indirectly resulting from your use of this website or the information or the resources contained on or accessible through it.
- The Company may provide you with the ability to communicate with Company employees, management, users, contractors and advertisers through agreements, online forms, electronic requests and enquires, bulletin boards, blogs, competition entries, SMS, online forums, inbound phone number services and other forms of electronic messaging. You acknowledge that those communications through the Company may be public and not private communications. Further, you acknowledge that communications should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by the Company.
- You acknowledge and agree that you must not do not do any of the following via or on the website:
(i) transmit any information or material which is knowingly incorrect, misleading or deceptive;
(ii) transmit any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful information or material;
(iii) use the communications services for any unlawful purpose;
(iv) post or upload files that contain software or other material or information in breach of any person’s intellectual property or privacy rights;
(v) upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer;
(vi) advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward surveys, contests or chain letters other than as approved by the Company.
(vii) authorise, aid, abet, encourage or incite any person to do any of the above acts.
- You hereby consent to allow the Company and its service providers to send you promotional material from time to time.
- You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Company and its suppliers and vendors from any liability, loss, claim, and expense (including reasonable solicitors’ fees) related to your violation of these Terms or use of this website in any manner.
- The Company disclaims all express or implied representations or warranties with regard to the information, services, products, materials, and any other resources contained on or accessible through this website, including without limitation any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. All information provided by the Company is made available “as is” and “as available” without warranty of any kind, or any express or implied promise, including, by way of example, its continuing availability.
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event will the Company be liable for any direct, indirect, special, punitive, incidental, exemplary, contractual, or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever of any kind, resulting from any loss, which by way of example, includes loss of use, loss of data, loss of profits, business interruption, litigation, or any other pecuniary loss, whether based on breach of contract, tort (including negligence), product liability, or otherwise, arising out of or in any way connected with the use or performance of this website, with the delay or inability to use this website, or with the provision of or failure to make available any information, services, products, materials, or other resources contained on or accessible through this website, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
- The Company’s failure to insist upon strict enforcement of any provision(s) of these Terms shall not be construed as a waiver of any provision, obligation or right.
- These Terms and the resolution of any dispute related to these Terms or this website shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Queensland, without giving effect to any principles or conflicts of law. Any legal action or proceeding between the Company or its links, suppliers, users or vendors and you, related to these Terms or this website shall be brought exclusively in a state or federal court of competent jurisdiction sitting in the state of Queensland.
- If any parts of these Terms are deemed to be unlawful, void or for any reason, unenforceable then that provision may be severed from these Terms and it will not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions.
HAVE A QUESTION?
If you have a question just submit it below and we will get back to you soon.
The following 5 minute video reveals some of our building practices and what makes us a smart choice for house and land packages that give you the maximum floor space, with a modern design.